Growing up is great, its fun, you go through new challenges and honestly you have the freedom to do what you want. Now life can also get hard and everyone has their own personal struggles, but as you grow older you adapt to new environments and challenges.
Through these experiences, you learn a lot of things, and most of those things would have been VERY useful the know as a child/teenager.
So naturally, this is my list of things I wish I’d known when I was a younger more insecure woman.
- Don’t put so much pressure on yourself, I know schools important, but so is your mental health.
- Don’t fear failure, out of every success is multiple failed attempts, plus you learn a lot.
- Stop trying to fit in.
- Sometimes people and friendships can be toxic, and it’s ok to walk away from them, even if the person is going through a lot.
- It’s ok to say no to hanging out with someone if you don’t want to.
- If hanging out with someone makes you feel heavier and awful, stop spending time with the person.
- Stop comparing your looks to other people!
- Stop relying on boys for self-confidence.
- If anyone says ‘you’re pretty for a <black/Somali> girl’ throw that person in the bin.
- It’s ok to not be ok.
- Celebrate yourself and your achievements, you’ve come so far and worked so hard!
- You are in control of your own happiness.
- Be patient, you’ll be in a better place soon.
- It’s ok to not be into what everyone else is hyping.
- You don’t have to compete about everything, just go with the flow and have fun.
- I know everyone’s obsessed with the opposite sex at the moment, but it’s ok to not give a shit about romance or love, enjoy being single, you’ll meet a lot of people who will regret not taking the time to learn to love themselves.
- Stop trying to be pretentious, it isn’t cool and honestly older you has second-hand embarrassment from it.
- Change your brand of feminism and stop shaming girls who want a domestic life, SUPPORT ALL PEOPLE, NOT JUST CERTAIN PEOPLE.
- Stop excusing peoples casual racism and sexism!
- A lot of the people you were friends with and saw in school will no longer be a part of your life, so stop worrying about fitting in or maintaining the balance, STRESS LESS PLEASE.
- Last but not least, if someone wants to hang out with you they will find a way, the whole notion of being too busy to make the effort isn’t real.
All images are from unsplash.